Wednesday, May 29, 2013

blog assignment #1

shcool buildingIf i built a school !

I think Krissy Venosdale had some great ideas in her blog If I Built a School. One of the things I liked in Krissy's blog was how she described the physical features of her school, for example, the colorful walls, and comfy seating. It is easier for students to learn if it does not feel like they are stuck in a prison all day. I also liked the idea of comfy seating, becasue if the students are not comfortable the only thing they will be forcused on is when they can get up and move. Another thing I liked about her blog was her idea of "grade levels" which Krissy said they would be like "rooms that kids advance through, not based on age, but based on readines and ability". I think this is a great idea because students learn at different speeds.


What I want my students to know !


I want my students to know learning is not just remembering answers, learning is also asking questions. I would also want my students to know that learning does not just take place in the classroom, but also through communication, relationships, and experiences. The most important thing I want my students to know is that no matter what their grade is, they all have something to offer that the world can benefit from.

What I want my students to be able to do !

I want my students to be able to not only ask questions, but also be able to find the answer and think for themselves. I also want my students not just to dream, but to act on those dreams. I think it is important that students question accepted knowledge, come up with their own conclusions, and think outside the box.

Methods of teaching I would use !

One thing I would do in my class is have my students write down at least 5 questions they do not know the answer to, and are intrested to find out. Then the last hour of class I would give them time to look up the answers on either a desktop, laptop, or ipad. After they are finished finding the answers, or at least better understanding the subject I would have them share their questions and answers with the rest of the class.

Tools I would use

In my class I would use the classic classroom tools, such as chalkboard, desk, books, and notebooks. However I would also have as many computers and ipads for my students as possible. I would use my excitment and enthusiasum about learning to get my students excited about learning as well.

The roll students will play

Students would play the leading roll in my classroom, and I would act as their guide. The students would be able let their creativity, and imagination loose, and i would encourage and support them.

4 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    I noticed that you didn't do the first part of the assignment! Oh no! You needed to "summarize" the "viewpoints expressed by Venosdale and Mitra" as part one. You did a nice job answering the following questions, but you didn't tell us what grade you would be teaching (not optional) or the subject matter (which was optional).

    In addition, you need to have an image in each post including this one, which has the ALT and TITLE modifiers. You can see how to to this by going to this document, which I made last semester. It's also a good idea to include the links to the blogs, posts, or videos you discuss in your post so that any readers can click the links to find out more about what you are talking about. The instruction manual can show you how to do this or you can do a quick Google search for how to add links in Blogger. :)

    If you have any questions about my suggestions, please contact me or come to the lab to ask me or any other lab assistant. We are here to help!

    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I really liked your idea about the five questions. That is a great way to make sure they are learning and exploring, but you are letting them do so on their own. Also, by sharing their results, they are teaching other students in the class. When students can be relaxed and learn in a fun, but calm environment, I think it is easier to retain the information they are exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    I really liked that you included in your post that you would use your excitement and enthusiasm about learning to get your students excited about learning. Attitude is so important especially when working with children. In the words of Winston Churchill, "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are the summaries of the assigned blog (Venosdale) and the video (Mitra)?

    ReplyDelete