Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Blog Assignment # 3

pengins
How can you provide meaningful feedback to your peers


What is peer editing ?

What is peer editing is a video on sentence structure, focusing on subject, verb, and predicates. Although I am in college I thought this video was very helpful, becasue sometimes I get so focused on relaying the idea that I pay no attention to sentence structure. The video is also helpful to a student just learning subject and predicates, becasue it gives very simple explanations. Another reason this is a good video for a student just learning subject and predicates is becasue it askes questions and keeps the students interactive. By asking questions this video does a great job at keeping students engaged and focused on the subject. I wish I had this video available to me when I first began learning about sentence structure.

Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial

In the slideshow Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial it goes over 3 steps to peer editing. The first step in peer editing is compiments. I believe that this is the most important step, because if you do not stay possitive with your peers then they will become defensive and not take any of your suggestions. The second step in this slideshow is make suggestions. The slideshow gives you examples of what kind of suggestions to make. Some of those suggestions include, word choice, using details, organization, sentence structure, and topic. The last and final step is corrections. The corrections this slideshow suggest in makeing are in spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, missing punctuation, and incomplete or run-on sentences. I found this slideshow to be very helpful, because when I do a peer review I am never sure where to start, or what to look for. I am sure I will be using these steps and suggestions in my peer reviews from now on.

Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes

I thought the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes was a entertaining video. This video also gave some good advice on what not to do during peer review. Although the video gives 10 Mistakes I am going to focuse on the four that I have personally experienced. One of the mistakes I have experienced is "picky patty" and in the video picky patty looks for anything to correct, even if it is not relevant to the paper. The example the video uses is hand writing style. Another mistake I have come across in peer review is "whatever william". The video shows whatever william as being a peer who does not care about the assignment, much less makeing the suggested changes. The third type of peer mistake is "social sammy". Social sammy is the one I have come across most often in peer review. The video describes this mistake as someone who constantly wants to talk to other members of other groups. I think this is a mistake effects the person who is being reviewed and also distracts the people in the other groups. The last peer review mistake is "off-task oliver". This is also a peer that I have came across often, and it is always distracting to everyone in the group. I think this video does a great job at covering all the differnt kinds of mistakes students make during peer review, and by pointing out these mistakes it will help people avoid makine these mistakes.

While doing a peer review for every member of my group, I was sure to use the skills covered in the video and slideshow. My group members did a great job on their blogs. Both members stuck to the topic, but also made their blog interesting by backing up their thoughts and ideas with personal experiences. There was clarity in the blogs, I think this was because they covered the main points and topics very well. I also considerd the blogs to be written well, because I was not able to find any grammatical or spelling errors. When I offer suggestions I will do so both publicly, and also privately, depending on the suggestions I offer. For example, if I was to point out a spelling or grammatical error I would do so privately by e-mail. I would make this suggestion privately, becasuse I do not see the need to post it publicly when no one else would be helped by the suggestion. If I was making a suggestion on word use, or ideas on how to make their post better then I would post it publicly, because other people could see it, and maybe find the suggestion helpful as well.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    There are so many things I agree with in this post. Like you, I am excited now that I know how to properly peer review. Reading through it I did not see any grammatical errors or anything that stuck out. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,

    I think we are on the same page as far as how we would handle our suggestions for our peers. This was a great post, and you too covered the pain topics and clearly watched and understood the videos. Keep up the good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jamie! You have a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, so it would be a good idea to type up your posts in a word processor, like Microsoft Word, so you can check for spelling errors and grammatical mistakes before you post! Also, don't forget to add links to your posts! That way, people reading your blog can click them and read the blog posts or watch the videos you're discussing. Lastly, don't forget to correctly source your picture! If you found it on discovery.com, then you need to make sure that's what your source says.

    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give any of us lab assistants a call, or come to the lab so we can help you personally! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete